The University of Arizona

College of Agriculture and Life Sciences

B.S. Degrees

The Conservation Biology Option encourages students to study conservation across taxa (invertebrates, vertebrates, plants, fungi, microbes) and across scientific disciplines (ecology, genetics, evolution), supported by courses in policy, planning, and economics. It provides an option to pursue careers in education, law, policy, and other non-scientific approaches to conservation. Students will have the knowledge, skills, and experiences for careers as conservation biologists, conservation planners, ecologists, environmental educators, researchers, or resource managers. Graduates will be equipped to pursue graduate degrees, work for government agencies or non-profit organizations -- such as The Nature Conservancy and Land Trusts -- or become involved in environmental law or policy. Students completing this option could be qualified for Civil Service positions under the titles Ecologist, Fish and Wildlife Biologists, and Botanist.



                   Faculty in this Program


The School of Natural Resources and the Environment announces a new undergraduate degree option in Global Change Ecology and Management.  This new option is designed to prepare students to work effectively as natural resource scientists and managers in a rapidly changing world. We also hope to respond to growing student concern about and interest in global change impacts and how society will deal with them.  We intend to recruit and train a new generation of natural resources leaders ready to address evolving management changes in the face of global change.  We offer this new option out of the conviction that there is no area of natural resource science or management that will be unaffected by global change in all its manifestations.


Managing natural resources sustainably in an era of global change will be one of the next generation’s most important challenges.  Our goals for graduates with this degree option include:


  • A thorough understanding of the causes and major patterns of global change.
  • Able to communicate the current state of the global change science clearly to the public, decision makers, and researchers.
  • Trained to apply global change science to natural resources management (e.g., wildlife, fisheries, grazing, and water in forest, rangeland and urban settings, with an emphasis on global drylands broadly defined and with the Southwestern North America as a key case study.
  • Able to translate ongoing and projected impacts of global change into public policy in terms of ecosystem goods and services and other impacts on societies and economies.
  • Proficient in synthesizing new research information into ongoing planning and assessments for natural resources management.
  • Prepared to lead the path forward to new approaches to land management that account for both gradual and abrupt changes such as wildfires and tree die-off that can transform landscapes rapidly.
  • Trained to lead and facilitate discussions for stakeholders with divergent perspectives.


The Global Change Ecology and Management (GCEM) program draws on SNRE strengths in the biological, physical, and socioeconomic sciences.   GCEM class options will draw from course offerings within and outside of SNRE, tapping into strengths in this area across the University.  Newly developed courses will complement and build on the existing curriculum to provide a strong foundation of knowledge.  The GCEM option is a concentration under the SNRE Natural Resources major.




Study the ecology, management and restoration of diverse rangelands environments including deserts, grasslands, shrublands, woodlands and meadows.  This program prepares you for a broad range of careers with government agencies, non-profit and conservation organizations, and private landowners. Range management professionals may inventory soils, plants, and animals; develop resource management plans with agencies or private firms; help restore degraded lands; or manage a preserve or ranch.


                        Our program offers:

1.      Hands-on experience with research and restoration projects

2.      Excellent employment opportunities

3.      26 elective units provide course work flexibility (see below for elective suggestions)

4.      Faculty advisors provide fact-to-face meetings     Faculty in this Program

5.      Significant scholarship opportunities                                                                                  



Check out this video to see Rangeland Ecology students in action! Watch video

More about a career in rangeland managment can be found here: Watch video

Careers in Cooperative Extension. An article by Elise Gornish, 2018. link to article


Possible Ways to Apply Your 26 Elective Units

These are not graduation requirements. Instead, they are suggestions for selecting Elective Units that match your career and personal goals.  Click on each job title for specific course lists and terms offered.  Meet with your academic adviser to explore the best fit for you.

Federal Positions with Specific Course Requirements


Elective Units Needed

Short description

Biological Science Technician


Entry-level position that typically includes general resources management and invasive species control.



Work with endangered species, restore damaging ecosystems, combat invasive plants, measure responses of vegetation to grazing or prescribed fire.



Attention to ecological relationships in rangeland ecosystems to perform monitoring, management, and research activities.

Plant Protection Technician


Entry-level position that typically includes related to detection, inventory, mapping and control of invasive, weedy, and poisonous plant species.

Rangeland Management Specialist


Activities on federally-managed rangelands including vegetation management, monitoring, livestock production, and coordinated resources management.

Range Technician


Entry-level position that typically includes conservation, regulation, and use of public lands for grazing; range research; and forest fire control. 

Soil Conservationist


Assist conservation organizations and private land owners plan and carry out soil and water conservation activities.

Wildlife Biologist


Perform wildlife management activities for federal government agencies.

University of Arizona Certificate with Specific Course Requirements

Geographic Information Systems Certificate


Compile, represent and analyze information about the world around us. Make maps, calculations of land area types, and proximity of different features from each other. These have become critical skills for entry-level positions.

Subject Matter Expertise without Specific Course Requirements

Cooperative Extension Agent


Develop education and research programs to improve natural resources and agriculture practices performed by private ranchers and farmers as well as public land managers.

Environmental Education and Communication


Develop effective communication and teaching skills to help people understand and appreciate the complexity and potential of rangelands.

Environmental Law and Policy


Contribute to the analysis and development of the laws, policies, rules, and regulations directing the use of public and private rangelands. 

Peace Corps


Develop skills to prepare for internally-based public service working with local stakeholders to enhance environmental understanding and local livelihoods.

Restoration Ecologist


Apply ecological and agricultural principles to promote the recovery and sustainability of natural ecosystems.


Undergraduates may pursue an option in either Wildlife Conservation and Management or Fisheries Conservation and Management. Wildlife science and fisheries science are the study of wild animals, fish, and other aquatic organisms. This involves the study of their biology and the interrelationships with each other, with humans, and with the physical and biological environment that makes up their habitat. Managers and biologists are concerned with maintaining species diversity, improving conditions for declining and endangered species, managing populations that are hunted or fished, conducting law enforcement, and coordinating other resource management activities to maintain environmental quality. Some professionals may be active in surveys of plants and animals, operation and management of refuges and hatcheries, pollution monitoring and testing, design and conduct of research, habitat improvement, pest management, environmental education, or computer modeling. Professionals in wildlife and fisheries are employed by federal agencies-the Fish and Wildlife Service, National Park Service, Bureau of Indian Affairs, Bureau of Land Management, and Forest Service, for example-and by state game and fish departments or departments of natural resources.






Watershed Hydrology and Management is the art and science of managing the natural resources of wild land drainage basins, with special consideration given to the quantity and quality of the water resource. Watershed managers are concerned with sustained productivity of such products as water, wood, forage, wildlife, and recreational opportunities. Watershed management graduates are qualified for careers in organizations and businesses concerned with integrated land management, the environment, or water resources. Many are employed as hydrologists. Employers include federal or state agencies, municipal water districts, private consulting firms, and conservation organizations. The study of watershed management emphasizes the combined physical, biological, and management aspects of natural resources, with special attention to water. Students receive specialized course work in subjects specific to the management of surface water resources. The curriculum also emphasizes social science, communication skills, and procedures for analyzing policy, as these tools are becoming increasingly important components of successful resource management activities.



Minor in Natural Resources

Students in any major can add a minor in Natural Resources. A minimum of 18 units is required.  All students must take ECOL 182R(the lab is not required) as well as RNR 200, RNR 316, and at least 9 elective units.


Natural Resources Minor Course List


Minor in Climate Change and Society

The Minor in Climate Change and Society is designed to supplement the career interests of students in any field who want to understand how global change will affect their professional and personal lives and adapt to new emerging career opportunities. A minimum of 21 units is required. Courses offered cover Climate Science, Social Perspectives and Sustainable Solutions.


Climate Change and Society Course List



Please contact Katie Hughes to make an appointment to add the minor in Natural Resources:


Katie Hughes

Academic Advisor

School of Natural Resources and the Environment

Environment and Natural Resources 2, N321

Ph: 520-621-7260



Hello Freshman and Transfer Students!


As the year is starting up, your academic advisors have some tips to follow, starting now, so you can get ready and prepared to have a successful semester. Please read these carefully as they are very important!



-So important!

-Check your UA email at least twice per day, especially around the time when school starts

-You can forward another account to your UA email

-Set up folders for email so you don’t get overwhelmed with a full inbox

-Only use your UA email address for communicating with professionals on campus (Professors, Advisors, etc.)



-Save your receipts in case you change classes and don’t open it if it’s plastic-wrapped

-Wait until after the first day of class and the syllabus is reviewed to open plastic-wrapped books

-You can find your booklist through a link in the right column on your UAccess or through the UA bookstore website

-If you buy your books online make sure you get the correct edition! Ask the instructor if older editions are acceptable



-Double check your schedule if you printed it earlier this summer (rooms may have changed)

-Double check rooms and times the day before school starts

-Take a “practice run” to all the buildings your classes are in

-As you enter any class, read the door and front board for course/room change announcements

-Read every syllabus front-to-back; it is your contract for the course!

-Get a planner and write in every assignment and exam due date as soon as you get your syllabi; also write down dates and deadlines

-Use Think Tank’s semester on a page and put your exams and big assignments on it for a quick glance of your requirements for the semester! This will help you notice exams and papers that are due on the same day.

-If you want to try getting into a closed class:

                *Email the professor or contact the department in advance to determine if there’s a waitlist or specific procedure for trying to get into the class

                *The best way to add is by checking UAccess; students will be changing their schedules a lot during the week before school starts and the first week of school

                *The Change of Schedule process is now online. Click on the link for directions.


Academic support

-If you’re overwhelmed by a class and you think you’re in over your head, go see your advisor ASAP!

-Explore the Think Tank and write down workshop and weekly course review dates and times

-Figure out where the nearest computer lab/printer is to your classes



-Use Handshake (especially to find work study jobs) – pay the small fee to utilize Career Services, there are tons of amazing resources on it!

-Tuition payments are due by first day of class to avoid late fee



-Register your bike with Parking & Transportation and use U-locks only; don’t use cable locks on a bike, they are easily cut

-Bookmark the online phonebook: - you can find your professors, TAs, advisors, friends, and any other contacts you might need

-Printable list of UA Services and Locations


Most transfer students say that the UA is much harder than their community college, so study hard, ask questions, and don’t forget to ask for help as soon as you think you’re in trouble! 


Again, don’t wait to get help – contact your advisor! It is normal to feel overwhelmed, but we are here to support you!


Katie Hughes

Academic Advisor for Natural Resources Majors

School of Natural Resources and the Environment

Envrionment and Natural Resources 2, N321






School of Natural Resources and the Environment Advisors

Katie Hughes, Academic Advisor for Natural Resources Majors

621-7260, Environment and Natural Resources 2, N321,

Katie is the go to person for academic advising, learning about internships, finishing your degree check, learning about research/academic opportunities, and discussing University policy. 


Dr. Rachel Gallery, SNRE Associate Director/Professor

621-4685, Environment and Natural Resources 2, N335,


Faculty Advisors

Every student should have a faculty advisor. If you don’t remember who your advisor is, email Katie.

Faculty advisors and their contact information and research interests


Forbes 203, the Main College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Advising Office

Nancy Rodriguez, Director, Academic Advising

621-3616, Forbes 203,

Nancy can help you with general education advising, and serves as a contact with the College if you are butting up against University policy. If it is a college-level question, see her first. Also, she can help with transferring of course work.


Amanda Armendariz, Academic Advisor

621-3616, Forbes 203,

Amanda can also help you with general education, transfer credit, and college policy.


Julie Adkins, Degree Certification

621-0975, Forbes 203,

When it’s time to do your degree check (also called a degree or senior audit), Julie will be your new best friend. Also, she can help with transferring of course work.



Independent Study Proposal Form 

Internship Report Guidelines

Internship Guidelines

Online forms and additional information available from the Office of the Registrar (change of schedule forms, etc.)


General Information

Read your email!

Read the CALS weekly bulletin and the Weekly Posting!

Second Language Proficiency Exam

If you need help with your UAccess go here; UAccess Learning FAQs 

Links for Advising and Other Resources


Bursar's office Libraries
Career Services Map of Campus
Code of Academic Integrity | Dean of Students Plagiarism
Courses Registration information
Degree Check Resume & Letter Writing Guide
Degree requirements (and use your Academic Requirements report as an advising tool)  
Degree Search Tuition, Financial Aid, and Scholarships
D2L UAccess Student
Jobs University of Arizona main students webpage


FAFSA ( Federal Financial Aid):  You should file a FAFSA whether or not you are planning to accept student loans or grants, or even qualify for them.  You may be eligible for scholarships just by filing!

Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid

Scholarship Universe



SNRE/CALS Scholarships:  Scholarships through the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences: application here and details below.

The scholarships below are earmarked for students in SNRE, but most are administered through the College of Agriculture & Life Sciences (CALS).  Applicants will automatically be eligible for funds from certain CALS scholarships targeted for any student with a major within CALS.  Faculty in the School select scholarship recipients in their respective Programs, and determine how funds will be divided among selected students, but these selections are subject to review by CALS administrators.


Wildlife & Fisheries Conservation & Management

Belman, Fred N.,  Memorial (annual funds available ≈$650-$700) Upper division undergraduate student with interest in wildlife management; enrolled in Wildlife & Fisheries Program and making satisfactory progress towards their degree; must be an AZ resident; Wildlife & Fisheries faculty selects candidate(s), with final approval by the Dean.

Coughlin, Charles Scholarship  (annual funds available ≈$3,500-$4,000)  Upper division undergraduate student with at least 32 hours completed at U of A by the time the award is made; emphasis on students interested in wildlife management (especially game species); award is based, in part, on academic excellence; Wildlife & Fisheries faculty selects candidate(s), with final approval by the Dean.

Hungerford, Roger Scholarship (annual funds available ≈$800-$900)  Upper division undergraduate student with at least 32 hours completed at U of A by the time the award is made; enrolled in Wildlife or Fisheries Option; Wildlife & Fisheries faculty selects candidate(s), with final approval by the Dean. .

Bruce D. Leopold Scholarship (established as a year-by-year "pass through" account funded by Dr. Leopold; $1200 /year).  Full-time Junior or Senior in the Wildlife Option; minimum gpa = 3.0; candidates should show evidence of involvement in The Wildlife Society and respect and appreciation for the utilitarian components of wildlife management, including hunting and trapping; Wildlife & Fisheries faculty selects candidate(s), with final approval by the Dean.

Maughan, O.E. Fund -   Initially, Ms. Laurie Shomo-Brown, a graduate and undergraduate alumna of SNRE, sent an annual gift to be used to provide one-time emergency financial assistance upon request.    Funds from Laurie and other contributions in memory of Dr. O.E. Maughan were combined to create the O.E. Maughan fund.  An award is not made as a regular scholarship (no College application required); awarded only for emergency needs.  First priority is given to qualifying female students in Wildlife & Fisheries, then any student with need in Wildlife or Fisheries, then any student with need in SNRE.  The Program Chair of Wildlife & Fisheries meets with students in need and makes an award recommendation to the College after notifying Wildlife and Fisheries faculty.


Ecology & Management of Rangelands

Cowden, E. Ray Scholarship (annual funds available ≈$5,000) Available for freshman through graduate students in the Range Program, but most often awarded to advanced undergraduate students.  Range Program faculty select students and notify the Assistant Director who forwards names to the College.

Schmutz, E&V (annual funds available ≈$650)  Upper division student majoring in area of conservation of soil/water (i.e., SWES and Range and Watershed). Preference to juniors & seniors with two or more semesters left.

Schmutz, Marcell (annual funds available ≈$800) Primary consideration to outstanding Juniors in Range Management; >2.5 cum gpa; secondary consideration to seniors in Range with 2 or more semesters remaining; lastly, may go to qualified sophomores; preference to AZ residents; Selected by faculty in Range.  (Announced at Range Society Meeting in January of each year?)

Tappan Student Fund  (annual funds available ≈$500) Critera:  full-time student from Ireland in Animal Science or Range program, but if no student from Ireland, then any outstanding student in these academic programs.  [Range allocates this award for 2007-2008, shared with Animal Science in alternate years].

H. Lynn Anderson Fund  (annual funds available ≈$1,400)   For full-time students in Range program.  Graduate or undergraduate students are eligible.


Global Change Ecology and Management

Colwell, Fran –  Available to a full-time undergraduate junior or senior in the School of Natural Resources and the Environment with a GPA of 3.0 or better and who has demonstrated an active interest in a career in public land management with a focus on human and social dimensions of natural resource management.


General School Information

Katie Hughes, Academic Advisor for Majors

621-7260, Environment and Natural Resources 2, room N321,

Katie is the go to person for academic advising, learning about internships, finishing your degree check, learning about research/academic opportunities, and discussing University policy. 


Faculty Advisors

Every student in the major should have a faculty advisor. If you don’t remember who your advisor is, email Katie.


College of Agriculture and Life Sciences

Nancy Rodriguez, Director - Advising, Orientation and Retention

621-3616, Forbes 203,

Nancy can help you with general education advising, and serves as a contact with the College if you are butting up against University policy. If it is a college-level question, see her first. Also, she can help with transferring of course work.



University of Arizona

Dean of Students Office

The Dean of Students Office, a division within Student Affairs, oversees aspects of a student’s life outside of the classroom, including Access & Inclusion, Campus Health, Fraternity and Sorority Programs, AZ Student Media, Parents and Family Association, the discipline process and student assistance.


Ombuds Program

The University of Arizona Ombuds Program provides an informal means of problem resolution if you have a University-related concern, conflict, or dispute. An Ombuds is not empowered to change a decision, but through intervention or a clarification of matters, information may emerge to assist in the resolution of the problem. Call the Director of the Ombuds Program at (520) 626-5589 or call an Ombuds directly if you need help.


(ASUA) Student Legal Services


Counseling and Psych Services (CAPS)

Counseling and Psych Services (CAPS) offers psychological counseling and psychiatric services to students to help them cope with personal problems so that they can successfully achieve their educational goals. 


Where do I go from here?

Our graduates work for federal agencies such as the Natural Resources Conservation Service, US Forest Service, National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, US Fish and Wildlife Service, and Bureau of Indian Affairs.  State agencies such as AZ Game and Fish also hire our graduates as do non-governmental organizations such as The Nature Conservancy and private consulting firms.

Employment Projections for 2015-2020

Your job title could be:

  • Rangeland Management Specialist
  • Wildlife Biologist
  • Botanist Restoration
  • Hydrologist
  • GIS specialist
  • Fisheries Biologist
  • Ecological Specialist
  • Research Scientist*
  • Environmental Specialist
  • Wilderness Ranger
  • Interpretive Ranger
  • Game Warden
*requires advanced degree
  • Ranch Manager
  • Professor*
  • Restoration Ecologist*
  • Natural Resources Planner
  • Soil Conservationist
  • Environmental Educator
  • Water Resource Scientist*
  • Lawyer*
  • Zoo Curator
  • Wildlife Veterinarian*
  • Preserve Manager

Graduate School

Many of our graduates go on to pursue graduate degrees in Natural Resources or related fields, law school, or other areas.  If you are interested in an advanced degree in Natural Resources or a related field,

  - Talk to our professors or faculty advisors about their graduate school experience.
  - See our prospective grad students page for additional information our graduate program.
 - For information on other graduate and professional degree programs, career services has several helpful links to help you prepare for these programs, from coursework to interviews. 

The University of Washington has a great database for exploring career opportunities based on your area of interest: What can I do with a major in….